Jonkershoek Canary+ Trail Run

Our trail grading: ORANGE 5A
Distance: 15km
Extremeness: Darkness and technical single track
Location: Jonkershoek, Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joggers: Deryck Nel, Dirk van der Merwe, Jacques Nel, Wim Morris & me

Deryck told his brother that this would be an easy 10km jog and that he was feeling a bit weak... I am sure Jacques will not fall that trick again! Winter is definitely coming and we started in (almost) total darkness. The time has come to buy myself a proper headlamp and bum a waterproof camera from someone.

We jogged onto the jeep tracks steadily ascending on the Pieke side of Jonkershoek. Again, we fell for Wim's "lets go up another level and I'll show you an awesome single track" trick. And again we jogged down a single track that could not be named. Ok, I'll call it something: EROSION! At the bottom of this steep erosive downhill the fun started with an awesome single track (crisscrossing a jeep track) which took us to the level of the Upper Canary Mountain Bike Trail. Then we jogged down all three parts of this awe-inspiring Canary trail! Of course, Wim was taking shortcuts again and every now and then I would see a blue flash in the corner of my eye and he would be waiting for me at the bottom of the section; or I would hear a bush crack and then Wim would be hot on my heels after I dropped him 4 minutes ago... amazing subtle and sneaky orienteering!








 
Posted by Picasa


Comments

Popular Posts