Helderberg Red Trail Run

Our trail grading: GREEN 5B
Distance: 11km
Extremeness: A very tough climb and a single track with a vertical drop
Location: Helderberg, Somerset West, South Africa
Joggers: Only me

Again I started my jog with some off-road in the pine plantation next to the gate house, followed by my familiar route upwards. Firstly the Yellow Hiking Trail, then anti-clockwise on the Blue Trail, then along the Black Trail, and finally upwards on the Blue Trial to where you turn to Disakloof. I hiked up the steep Disakloof until I reached the turn-off onto the Red Trail, which I have never jogged before. The Red Trail is awesome and I followed the well established contour single track while enjoying the awe-inspiring views! After almost loosing the magnet in my hydra-pack during a heroic attempt to drink water on the move, I reached the Blue Trail again and started to pick up the pace. At the gate in the middle of the reserve I turned onto the Yellow Trail for about 100m and then turned onto a single track I discovered during my Spider Trail Run. At this stage my legs became a bit wobbly, but since I am currently reading "Born to Run" I was compelled to not be a pansy and continue... pacing down the rock-hard slanted single track and then finishing with a nice mini-loop in the pine plantation!












Posted by Picasa


Comments

  1. Training for the Helderberg Mountain Challenge 2012?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not really... just having fun on the lower slopes... :) Still contemplating if I'm going to run the HMC. Not sure if I'll survive a run that goes all the way up to West Peak (or the Dome)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts